Administrative tribunals and their role in immigration
- in English
ICCRC 3 CPD hours available until: 16.05.2020
If you ever have represented a client before the IAD, you were at administrative tribunal. Administrative law is a very important part of our practice and it is not taught at any of the Immigration Practitioner Programs. Take advantage of this overview of administrative law, tribunals and their rules.
Introduction – Administrative Law
1. Introductory Components of Administrative Law:
a. Constitutional Matters
b. Division of Powers
2. Standards of Review:
3. Procedural Fairness Test:
a. Legitimate Expectations of procedural fairness
b. Duty of fairness
• Baker Test
4. Bias and Independence
Administrative Law – Immigration
5. Consultants and the Administrative Tribunals – Overcome the Barrier!
a. Preparing your practice to absorb administrative tribunal work
6. The Different Administrative Agencies / Tribunals in Immigration:
7. The Different Kinds of Adjudications:
a. Immigration Applications
• Work Permit / PR Applications
• Detention Reviews
I. Rules of Tribunal
II. Role of Witnesses
III. Role of Claimant
IV. Role of Bondsperson / conditions of release
• Admissibility Hearings
• Right of Appeal
• Rules of the Tribunal
• Preparing witnesses
• Preparing Claimants
IAD v. Federal Court:
• Which tribunal does it belong to?
• What do I do?
• Fraudulent Documentation
• Witnesses or claimants that are being untruthful
• Inconsistent testimony
• Final considerations as your expand your practice to take on more of this work
350 West Georgia St.
BC V6B 6B1
- regular fee - $ 90.00
Please note that speakers and topics were confirmed at the time of publishing; however, circumstances beyond the control of the organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. IMEDA reserves the right to alter or to modify the advertised speakers and /or topics, if necessary. Any schedule substitutions or alterations will be updated on the IMEDA website as soon as possible and all registrants will be notified by e-mail.