Date and time
Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 14:00 EST see it in calendar
- in English
CICC 3 CPD hours
Expiry date: 5-6-2022
LSBC 3 CPD hours
Expiry date: 31-12-2022
How NOT to lose permanent residence
Loss of status concerns relating to Residency obligations
1. When will residency obligations be assessed
• On every entry to Canada
• PR Card or PR Travel Document applications
• Citizenship applications
• Sponsorship applications
2. What qualifies as “residence” and how to prove it
• Physical residence
• Residence with a Canadian citizen spouse overseas
• Employment overseas by a Canadian business
• Employment overseas for federal public administration or public service of a province
• Be careful with locally engaged staff!
• Spouse of a PR employed overseas in either of the above
3. Humanitarian circumstances and how to prove it
• What types of circumstances can be considered?
• Family circumstances
• Employment/financial needs
• Medical issues
• Country/international/political circumstances
• Ignorance regarding the law
• How would you go about proving it?
4. Strategic considerations when residency obligation not met
• If the person is in Canada, can they remain until residency obligation is met and apply thereafter?
• If the person is overseas, can they enter Canada and stay until residency obligation is met? If so:
• How to time entry to Canada?
• Where to enter Canada?
• How to handle the entry to Canada?
• Is it better to apply inland for a PR Card or overseas for a PR Travel Document
Loss of status concerns relating to Misrepresentation in PR applications
1. What was reported as being your intention:
• Skilled workers
2. How to manage and document required changes as you move forward
3. Strategic considerations:
• Up front disclosure of changed circumstances
• Wait and see approach
• Pros and cons of each
Costregular fee - $ 90.00
No CPD -
Please note that speakers and topics were confirmed at the time of publishing; however, circumstances beyond the control of the organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. IMEDA reserves the right to alter or to modify the advertised speakers and /or topics, if necessary. Any schedule substitutions or alterations will be updated on the IMEDA website as soon as possible and all registrants will be notified by e-mail.