Date and time
Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 18:30 EST see it in calendar
- in English
CICC 3 CPD hours
Expiry date: 24-2-2023
LSBC 3 CPD hours
Expiry date: 31-12-2022
International adoptions and relevant immigration processes
This 3-hour seminar will focus on international adoptions and the immigration and citizenship processes available. We will review the adoption requirements, starting with the provinces/territories, adoption authority of the country where the child lives and will conduct a detailed review of the pros and cons of the immigration and citizenship processes. Cathryn will also discuss the differences between adopting from Hague countries vs. non-Hague countries, as well as provide helpful hints and tips on what to watch out for during the process.
Specifically, the seminar will cover:
- Overview of the International adoption process and the roles each party plays through the process
- Restrictions on adoptions and ethical pitfalls, such as adoption fraud, timing issues, advice mis-steps to avoid, etc.
- Immigration vs. Citizenship options for adopted children
- Hague vs. Non-Hague adoptions and the challenges and limitations with processing of these files
- How to bring the child to Canada and immigration/citizenship timing issues
- Next generation limitations for citizenship
- Your role in the process; immigration/citizenship advice vs. Adoption advice - watching the scope of your advice and upholding the Rule of Professional conduct
Costregular fee - $ 90.00
Please note that speakers and topics were confirmed at the time of publishing; however, circumstances beyond the control of the organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. IMEDA reserves the right to alter or to modify the advertised speakers and /or topics, if necessary. Any schedule substitutions or alterations will be updated on the IMEDA website as soon as possible and all registrants will be notified by e-mail.