Spousal sponsorship appeals at the IAD
- in English
LSBC 3 CPD hours - Validity of the recording expired on: 19.04.2021
LSUC 0.5 Professionalism hours - Validity of the recording expired on: 19.04.2020
- How to identify the issues at stake in your appeal and how best to respond to the visa office decision
- Best approaches to preparation of disclosure
o How to ensure that you are including the appropriate and most effective disclosure
o Quantity vs. Quality
- Witness preparation and examination during hearing:
o Who should be called and the benefit brought by addition of non-Appellant/Applicant witnesses
o Sufficient witness preparation vs. leading or shaping testimony
- Unauthorized representatives in the underlying application:
o how to address the issue proactively and what red flags to look for
o how to best respond if raised as a jurisdictional issue during the hearing
- Ethical issues:
o Duty as counsel to address errors and undisclosed information in the underlying application: how best to address without undermining credibility
o What do you do if it becomes clear during the appeal process that the marriage is not genuine?
o Discussion of ethical obligations if your witnesses lie while providing testimony – how to respond appropriately and within professional responsibility
300 The East Mall
- These video recordings are offered free-of-charge for their educational value. They are not eligible for CPD hours by any regulatory body.
Please note that speakers and topics were confirmed at the time of publishing; however, circumstances beyond the control of the organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. IMEDA reserves the right to alter or to modify the advertised speakers and /or topics, if necessary. Any schedule substitutions or alterations will be updated on the IMEDA website as soon as possible and all registrants will be notified by e-mail.