Date and time
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 18:00 PDT see it in calendar
- in English
CICC 3 CPD hours
Expiry date: 20-5-2022
LSBC 3 CPD hours
Expiry date: 24-2-2023
Discretionary Decision Making under IRPA
What is it, where are we now, and how did we get to where we are today
• Discretionary decision making in Immigration and Citizenship
o What is it
o Where do you find it
• Rules and Principles that govern discretionary decision making
o Natural Justice/Administrative Law – what does it mean
o Who is held accountable under administrative law
• How the Federal Court work
• Principles of Natural Justice
o Opportunity to Present one’s case
o Opportunity to respond
o Duty to consider all the evidence
o Right to counsel
o Right to an interpreter
o Legitimate Expectations
o Right to an impartial decision maker and freedom from bias
o Institutional independence/he who hears decides
o Right to reasons
• How did we get to the current application of the above noted principles (a history of some landmark cases).
• Grounds for Review
• Standard of Review. Is it the same for everything?
• Procedural Fairness letters.
• Judicial Remedies
• Recent and Current cases at the Federal Court to watch out for.
Costregular fee - $ 90.00
No CPD -
Please note that speakers and topics were confirmed at the time of publishing; however, circumstances beyond the control of the organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. IMEDA reserves the right to alter or to modify the advertised speakers and /or topics, if necessary. Any schedule substitutions or alterations will be updated on the IMEDA website as soon as possible and all registrants will be notified by e-mail.