Date and time
Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 17:00 EST see it in calendar
- in English
CICC 3 CPD hours
Expiry date: 15-6-2022
LSBC 3 CPD hours
Expiry date: 31-12-2022
Advocacy Thinking ahead protecting your clients interests
Protecting your clients interests before the hearing
Preparation for the hearing:
- Expert witnesses—when do you need them and why?? What type of experts—psychologists, educational experts; medical reports; country experts.
- Corroborating witnesses—when do you need them and why??
- Preparing client to face questions about inconsistencies—do they have an explanation??
At the hearing:
- Problems with interpretation—when do you object?? How do you object?? What are the consequences if you do not object??
- Do you need an adjournment?? What do you do if it is refused??
- Board Member prejudges the case—can you ask the Member to recluse themselves for bias?? How do you frame the objection?? What do you do when they refuse to recluse??
- Objecting to questions—when do you object?? How do you raise the objection?? What are the consequences if you do not object??
- Calling witnesses—when do you call them?? When do you dispense with calling witnesses??
- Member imposes time limits—how do you object?
- Importance of submissions—asking for clarification regarding issues prior to making submissions.
After the hearing:
- When do you send in post hearing submissions?
- When do you raise an objection??
- What do you do if you discover a problem with interpretation after the hearing concludes??
- When do you send in post hearing evidence or submissions?
- What do you do if you realize you made an error during the hearing or in preparation??
Responding to procedural fairness letter
- Evidence versus submissions;
- Corroborating evidence;
- Making sure you have full disclosure and know the allegations
Costregular fee - $ 90.00
No CPD -
Please note that speakers and topics were confirmed at the time of publishing; however, circumstances beyond the control of the organizers may necessitate substitutions, alterations or cancellations of the speakers and/or topics. IMEDA reserves the right to alter or to modify the advertised speakers and /or topics, if necessary. Any schedule substitutions or alterations will be updated on the IMEDA website as soon as possible and all registrants will be notified by e-mail.